A delicious hearty meal for a cold night, these Russian Meat Balls with Gravy are light and satisfying at the same time.
- 1 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice, rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp plus 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste mixed with 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In a bowl, combine the chicken, uncooked rice, egg, 1 tablespoon of the yogurt, dill, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. With wet hands, roll the chicken mixture into 1-inch balls.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add the flour and mix to coat the vegetables; cook for 1 minute. Slowly add chicken broth and stir until smooth and thickened.
4. Add tomato paste mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons yogurt, cumin, nutmeg, paprika, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste and cook until gravy is thickened and smooth.
5. Add the meatballs. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, or until the meatballs are no longer pink. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010