These low cholesterol, low sodium cookies are sure to be a hit, and best of all, they are gluten-free too! A sweet treat that everyone can eat!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Food coloring, nuts or dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- With a hand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Mix in sugars until stiff peaks start to form. Do not overmix.
- Tint with food coloring if desired, or add nuts or dark chocolate chips and fold in gently.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a fluted tip and pipe meringues 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet (or use 2 spoons to drop mounds of meringue onto baking sheet).
- Bake in oven for 2 hours. Turn off oven, but do not remove cookies. Leave in oven for at least 2 hours, or overnight (do not open oven door).
- Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 24 cookies Calories: 29; Fat: 0; Saturated Fat: 0; Cholesterol: 0; Sodium: 9mg; Carbohydrates: 7g; Fiber: 0; Protein: 1g
Light, airy and sweet, these gluten free cookies are a pretty addition to your holiday dessert table. At 80 calories per cookie, these coconut macaroons are healthy holiday cookies everyone will love.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 6 oz egg whites (about 5 to 6 egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch until the cornstarch has no lumps.
- Add the coconut and the vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add the egg whites and whisk until combined.
- With an ice cream scoop, scoop dough by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets on a wire rack.
- Remove from baking sheets when completely cool.
Yield: 40 cookies
Calories: 81; Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0; Sodium: 2mg; Carbohydrates: 10g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 1g
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: November 24, 2015
Reviewed By: Jane Schwartz, RD