Chicken Parmesan is often pan-fried. The high amount of oil needed to fry food adds loads of fat and calories. By baking the cutlets instead of frying them, this Chicken Parmesan is a lot healthier and tastier, too.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Italian bread crumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz each), trimmed of fat, pounded
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce, basil and black pepper. Reduce heat to low and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Place egg and bread crumbs in separate, shallow bowls. Dip chicken breasts into egg and then dredge in bread crumbs. Arrange chicken breasts on baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Spread half of the tomato sauce in a casserole dish. Place baked chicken on tomato sauce and spread remaining tomato sauce over chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan over chicken. Cover with foil.
6. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.