Chicken Parmesan is often pan-fried first, then baked. This baked Chicken Parmesan recipe cuts down on high-fat oil and keeps the chicken moist, too.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Italian bread crumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz each), trimmed of fat, pounded
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, basil and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place egg and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken breasts into egg and then dredge in bread crumbs. Arrange chicken breasts on baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce in a casserole dish. Place baked chicken on tomato sauce and spread remaining sauce over chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan over chicken. Cover with foil. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 4 servings
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010