This healthy muffin is a perfect grab-and-go snack. Made with whole wheat flour, these cheddar bacon muffins are a healthy snack for any time of the day.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, optional
- 2 Tbsp chopped scallions
- 1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, cumin and salt. Stir in cheddar cheese, bacon, jalapeños and scallions; make a well in center of mixture.
3. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil and egg until combined. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
Yield: 12 muffins
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010
No information provided by Baldwin Publishing, Inc. in any article or in any Health eCooking® video, recipe, article and/or other Health eCooking product or service is a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical condition.