Lentils are packed with protein and fiber, both nutrients that help fill you up. Perfect for a quick warm-up on a chilly night, this soup can be frozen in individual portions so it’s ready when you are.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth (gluten free if needed)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- In a large pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Reduce the heat to low and sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, thyme, nutmeg, pepper, and salt and stir to combine. Add the broth and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and serve.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010