A hunger fighting powerhouse, the black beans in this yummy tostada are a great source of lean protein without saturated fat. Zucchini, corn and cherry tomatoes help make this colorful vegetarian recipe a satisfying meal.
- 8 corn tortillas (6-inch diameter)
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 oz grated reduced-fat white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (1/4 cup)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 small avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- Lime wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange tortillas on 2 baking sheets and toast in oven until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from baking sheets.
- Lightly spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Spread beans and onion on one and zucchini and jalapeños on the other. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray, season with the black pepper and roast until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer half the beans and onion to a bowl with the water and mash beans with the back of a fork until smooth. (Add more water to reach desired consistency, if necessary.) Spread mixture onto tortillas.
- Toss remaining beans and onion with zucchini, jalapeños and corn and divide among tortillas. Top each tostada with tomatoes, cilantro, cheese, scallions and avocado. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010