Appetizers - Deviled Eggs Recipe
Healthy Greek yogurt substitutes for high-fat mayonnaise in this easy deviled eggs recipe. Perfect for brunch, a light lunch or an easy appetizer, these low calorie deviled eggs can be made ahead.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped, for garnish
- Paprika, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, cover eggs with cold water. Add 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain. Run eggs under cold water to cool them. Remove from saucepan with a slotted spoon.
- In a medium bowl, mix yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, shallot and hot sauce.
- Peel the eggs and halve them lengthwise. Remove the yolks, setting the whites aside, and transfer the yolks to the bowl with the yogurt mixture. Season with pepper and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mash yolks with a fork until smooth.
- Place yolk mixture in a resealable plastic bag and seal. Snip a 1/4-inch hole in 1 corner of bag. Pipe yolk mixture into the whites. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and paprika just before serving, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.