Physical activity is as important for kids as it is for adults. Here are a few fun activities that the entire family can enjoy together this summer.
1. No Pool Necessary - When the weather heats up, a dip in the pool is a great way to cool down, but if you don't have access to one, don't worry, try out one of these fun games involving water. Play the classic Hot Potato game but this time use a water balloon. Someone is going to get wet! Another one we enjoy only requires a hose and some imagination. Spray the water straight out and play a little Water Hose Limbo. Add some fun music and the whole group will keep moving.
2. Play Ball - Sure, Baseball is often thought of as a classic summer sport, but if your team wants to get active in a different way, grab any round ball you have and play a family game of Kickball. Even the big kids will get into it. After you've run the bases for awhile, toss a frisbee around and see who has the best backhand, or for the experts among us, maybe even a hammer throw.
3. Outdoor Gym - Have fun taking turns playing the role of a personal trainer. Get the group outside and try out a few exercises, no equipment needed. When it's your turn, you have one minute to callout the next exercise everyone has to do. Think the group can handle 10 jumping jacks, followed by a set of mountain climbers? Find out.
4. The Classics - Find a spot and rotate through a couple of classic schoolyard games such as Simon Says, What Time Is It Mr. Fox, or setup your finish line and teach the little ones Red Light, Green Light.
5. Nature Scavenger Hunt - Create a list of easy (or maybe not so easy) items that can be found outside in your yard, or at the park, and see who collects the items first. Maybe it's 2 kinds of leaves, or something round, or an acorn. By mixing it up, everyone has a chance to complete the list in a different way.
6. Walk, Run, Bike - Exercise comes in many different forms, so think about finding the nearest trail and enjoy a nice walk, or grab your bikes and head out on an adventure.